Saturday, June 27, 2009

Las Bodas, Trivial Persuit, y el Hard Rock Café 

(This was supposed to be up yesterday)

 

School was great today.  I showed everyone how brilliant American students really are.  You see, yesterday my class had discussed stereotypes of other countries from their own (the ones of Americans are too sad to repeat), and today they admitted that they had been proven wrong. We played trivial pursuit in Spanish and I was the only one who knew what the third most read book in the world was (after the Bible and Koran), which director made the first 3-D movie ever, the chemical symbol of gold elements, and the bonus round question of “What is the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest?” 

 

Enough boasting.  After school, mom and I had a snack and took the Metro down to Jaume I in search of the Archive Museum, and of course, it was closed.  The restaurant/store hours in this city are unbelievably unpredictable and terribly inconvenient.  Once we finally found our way, we got a little lost, but we had a good time exploring a new part of town.  It was a quaint and quiet part, less tourist-filled than most.  We encountered numerous brides along with their elaborate weddings in one large plaza that we came across.  There is a very popular church in the plaza apparently, because about every 30 minutes, one bride would roll out in her Rolls Royce and another would swoop right in.  How strange.  We saw a nasty and graphic special effects museum, which was impressive but nauseating.  After, We walked into the cutest store where we finally found some authentic souvenirs to bring home instead of the typical magnets that say BCN on them.  It seemed so inviting from the outside, but as soon as I picked up some painted castanets to test them out, the storekeeper got mad at me and took them away to set them back in their box.  Didn’t buy anything there! 

 

After our exploration voyage to the other part of town, mom went shopping and I met Bernhard and Amir and Sabi at Hard Rock Café, as it was Bernhard’s last night in town before he left to work in Hong Kong for six months.  We had a great time, and about halfway through our meal, “I Want You Back” by the Jackson 5 came over the restaurant, and I’d say about 95% of the restaurant stopped what they were doing to pay tribute to Michael Jackson by butchering one of his most famous songs in an off-key manner.  We were a part of that 95%.  But only M.J. can sing that song and I think he would have appreciated our efforts.  When we said our goodbyes, I finally mastered the European double cheek-kiss, and we departed our separate ways.  I met up with my mom and we did some window-shopping before hitting the sack.  Estoy muy cansada.  ¡Buenas Noches!

No comments:

Post a Comment