Thursday, June 25, 2009

La Playa

(This was meant to be up yesterday.  The site was down.)

I figured out why consuming so much milk is a strange notion to Spaniards.  Today on the Metro, a baby was crying, and his mother refilled his bottle with Coke!  No wonder the baby was grumpy!

 

Well we hung out at the beach all day! It was fabulous! Minus the nudity and the old women in bikinis/old men in speedos. But other that that, it was perfect – it was windy but warm, the water was chilly and refreshing, and the sand was white and clean!  Quite the change when one’s beach is Galveston, Texas.  I ran down to Barceloneta Beach about a mile and a half down the street and took a look at some tennis courts (in case we want to play this week) and an oddly shaped building that looked like a bird’s wing.  Later, I was in the water when these two little sisters of nine and twelve came up to talk to me.  It was pretty cute, but I didn’t speak their language (I can’t remember what they called it), and they didn’t speak mine.  One spoke a little bit of Spanish, and we were able to use that to communicate – I love using Spanish in everyday life!  But when their uncle and dad came over to talk to them, and the little girl came back and told me that their uncle loved me (I don’t think she knew how to say “he likes you”, and she translated “te ama”), I decided I’d had enough of the water for one day and we went to go have lunch.

 

We had Mexican food for lunch! That’s right, Mexican as in the Mexico right next to my Texas!  I felt a sudden wave of nostalgia as I dug into my rice and beans, and I missed home for the first time in two and a half weeks. But then I remembered what the couple from Florida had told me yesterday and then I forgot about being homesick and thought about how darn lucky I am to be in Spain right now.

 

Well I have school tomorrow, so adios for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment